Outdoor Education Toolkit - Ophea
This toolkit contains lessons, activities, and additional resources to support creating a culture of safety-mindedness before, during, and after outdoor education activities. Recognizing that teachers may approach outdoor education differently depending on their experience, knowledge, confidence, and local school community, teachers are encouraged to use and modify the resources for their unique context.
In this toolkit you will find:
• Tips to promote a culture of safety-mindedness among students participating in outdoor education activities
• A checklist for teachers with key planning considerations before, during, and after the activity
• Conversation starters and reflection activities for teachers to initiate, deepen, and consolidate student learning around risk management
• Lesson plans for teachers
• Links to additional resources with supplementary information about specific activities and sports, certifications, and associations
The objectives of this toolkit are to:
• Enrich and promote a culture of safety-mindedness
• Increase teacher awareness, confidence, and preparedness to teach outdoor education safety and risk management
• Increase student awareness, confidence, and preparedness about outdoor education safety and risk management
IMPORTANT: Consult your school board to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures for outdoor educational activities.